2003 Aug 09 19:06

[vox-tech] IBM Esssolo1 Sound

Hi there,

This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyways. I have an IBM 390X
thinkpad. In short the soundcard is an ESS Solo and can
use the Kernel OSS modules or the Alsa esssolo1 drivers.

However, both drivers only produce distorted garbage out
the speakers. The card runs fine under Windows partition.

I also tried SuSE 8.1 and Knoppix. They both detected the
hardware fine and installed the drivers automatically, but
still garbage comes out the speakers.

This is a common problem with the Linux drivers for this
system. The only solution I have heard of is a real hack.
That is, the computer boot to dos partition, loads the dos
drivers, then runs Linux via loadlin. Not really a reasonable
option in this day and age.

Has anyone come across a similar scenario or have a
possible solution? There are IRQ settings in the cmos,
but not necessarily related directly to the sound card.

Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-)
Dietrich