2003 Jul 30 14:07

Re: [vox-tech] Optimum memory for a Linux workstation?

Re: [vox-tech] Optimum memory for a Linux workstation?

Matt Roper wrote:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:52:35AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

Jim Lowman wrote:

In reading the latest Linux Journal, I noticed an ad from EmperorLinux.com,
where they offer an enhanced version of the Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook
that I have,
but built for Linux.

The "Rhino," as they call it, has 2GB of memory.  Isn't that a bit of
overkill for
a workstation?

I have a dual boot between Windows XP Pro and RH9 Linux running on my
machine, and it seems to do well.

Are there any statistics available that show where the performance curve
flattens out as memory is added above, say, 256 MB?
You can do your own test using "top." This'll let you see how your
current usage strains the available memory. When memory runs out,
pages start to "swap" to disk, slowing things down.

You probably don't want to use top for this -- the memory usage that top
displays includes memory that is being used as a disk cache so it will
always look like you're using almost all of your memory.  Use "free"
instead and then check the line labelled "-/+ buffers/cache" for a more
realistic view of how much memory will be available to applications if
they need it.
Perhaps I am being naive, but why not use KDEs System Monitor applet (or Gnome's equivalent)? I leave the applet on continuously to observe my CPU, memory, and swap use. The memory bar is differentiated by color for memory used, buffer, and cache. Anyway, I can clearly observe my home desktop's 128 MB memory fill up and spill into swap, bogging everything down. However, my laptop with 512 MB hardly ever uses swap, and performance seems to remain constant.

Jonathan