2003 Jul 30 09:00

Re: [vox-tech] Optimum memory for a Linux workstation?

Jim Lowman wrote:

> In reading the latest Linux Journal, I noticed an ad from EmperorLinux.com,
> where they offer an enhanced version of the Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook
> that I have,
> but built for Linux.
>
> The "Rhino," as they call it, has 2GB of memory.  Isn't that a bit of
> overkill for
> a workstation?
>
> I have a dual boot between Windows XP Pro and RH9 Linux running on my
> machine, and it seems to do well.
>
> Are there any statistics available that show where the performance curve
> flattens out as memory is added above, say, 256 MB?

You can do your own test using "top." This'll let you see how your
current usage strains the available memory. When memory runs out,
pages start to "swap" to disk, slowing things down.

I agree that 2GB seems like overkill for current workstation applications.
My 128MB machine handles GNOME, Netscape, and Gimp quite well.
But you never know what the future might bring.