2003 Jul 29 01:05

[vox-tech] TiVo Home Media Option

TiVo's advertising this new "Home Media Option," which, with the
adition of a broadband adapter (ethernet or 802.11b), allows one's TiVo
to play MP3 music and display digital photos which get grabbed off of another
PC on your LAN.

Unfortunately, it looks like the software you use to make the files available
is only available for Windows and Macintosh.

I e-mailed TiVo tech support and got what seemed to be a robotic answer
saying that there's no Linux version available, and there is currently no
plans.

They didn't answer the second part of my question, so I asked it again
(and got a "Sorry, I don't know the answer to that" response)...
is the TiVo using any _known_ protocols to get these files?  (SMB, NFS?)

In other words, even if one DOESN'T have the "Home Media" software for their
desktop (e.g., they're running Linux, BeOS... something OTHER than Win/Mac),
is it possible to USE the "Home Media Option" on the TiVo itself, by setting
up standard file shares?

Anyone know?  (Ryan? ;) )