2003 Jul 20 16:45

Re: [vox-tech] desktop too hot?

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:55:08PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
[...]
> I'd get a new PC case except there are a few things that a normal system
> wouldn't have, like the CPU fan airflow redirection tubing, and the 5-in-1
> media reader connections (and the USB and the IEEE 1394) in the front.
> Getting an internal fan I don't think would help, as the heat is
> concentrated in the HDD region (3.5" bays, not the 5.25" bays).

I have no trouble believing that some HDs are warmer than others. You might
try:

- getting a 'hard drive cooler':
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/viewproduct.asp?ProductID=STO-DFAHDD

- putting the HD on its side to increase convective cooling (if practical)

- removing unused hardware from the case (if there is any)

- replacing the HD with a low-heat model (expensive but parhaps worth it for
  data integrity)

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: