2003 Jul 17 09:05

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
Hi,

It's not too clear what you are asking.  If you download and
install/upgrade a RedHat rpm-packaged kernel, the kernel installs and
automatically edits your boot loader (on Redhat systems anyway).  No
compilation is necessary.  Older kernels are not removed and remain as
boot options in your boot loader.

You can also get an rpm of Redhat's kernel source, which is just a
super-hacked version of whatever kernel version it is.  This you can
further configure and compile yourself.  Due to the hacks, I have found
that many custom configurations do not work with their kernel source,
and you are better off using the mainstream kernel releases.

Jonathan

You got my question absolutely right :).  Sorry if i was not bit clear.

I could have just asked this question :

<question>
Anybody successful with rpm version of kernel installation?
</question>

Cause i didnt :(.

Like pete told (2.4.2) version of kernel (rpm version) didnt work good for
me.

I was just wondering if i can get hold of 2.5 version of kernal and give it
a shot,
Are you using a Red Hat distribution? Then you should definitely try their latest rpm-kernel, which for RH9 is a version of 2.4.20 (so-called 2.4.20-18.9). Anyway, it seems to work on many typical desktops that do not have particularly special hardware. It does not have acpi support, which is why I compiled my own patched 2.4.20 kernel for my laptop. If you want 2.5, you'll have to compile that entirely on your own. By the way, I have found it useful to take the kernel config file from the redhat kernel rpms as a starting point for my kernel configuration.

Jonathan