2003 Jul 17 08:35

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Compilation - RPM Installation

Hi,

> It's not too clear what you are asking.  If you download and
> install/upgrade a RedHat rpm-packaged kernel, the kernel installs and
> automatically edits your boot loader (on Redhat systems anyway).  No
> compilation is necessary.  Older kernels are not removed and remain as
> boot options in your boot loader.
>
> You can also get an rpm of Redhat's kernel source, which is just a
> super-hacked version of whatever kernel version it is.  This you can
> further configure and compile yourself.  Due to the hacks, I have found
> that many custom configurations do not work with their kernel source,
> and you are better off using the mainstream kernel releases.
>
> Jonathan

You got my question absolutely right :).  Sorry if i was not bit clear.

I could have just asked this question :

<question>
Anybody successful with rpm version of kernel installation?
</question>

Cause i didnt :(.

Like pete told (2.4.2) version of kernel (rpm version) didnt work good for
me.

I was just wondering if i can get hold of 2.5 version of kernal and give it
a shot,

may be that one works :).

Anyway thank you very much for the Info :)

Have a great day.

Karthikeyan B