2003 Jul 16 23:03

Re: [vox-tech] File Permission Issue while downloading files from an ftp location

On 2003.07.16 01:18, Mark K. Kim wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> (So far as I know, Windows can't read/write ext2 or ext3
filesystems,
> and VFAT doesn't support file permissions, and user/group ownership
that
> Unix filesystems do.)

FYI, [V]FAT supports a 6 file attributes:

   hidden attribute (if set, file should be hidden)
   read-only attribute (if set, file isn't writable)
   system attribute (if set, file shouldn't be moved on the disk)
   volume attribute (don't worry about this.)
   archive attribute (if set, file should be archived)
   directory attribute (don't worry about this either.)
Take a look at my previous post ( Re: [vox-tech] good reference source for fstab permissions variables/syntax ) and the mount(8) manpage for tips about mounting vfat drives.

My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu