2003 Jul 15 18:29

Re: [vox-tech] NFS mount "RPC: Timed out" error

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:36:13PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Mon 14 Jul 03,  4:05 PM, Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com> said:
> > portmap: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
> > mountd: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> p@satan$ ldd /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
> [no libwrap]
> p@satan$ ldd /sbin/portmap
>         libwrap.so.0 => /lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x4002a000)
>
> ted, it looks like portmap is linked against wrappers but nfsd isn't.
> at least on my system.

Yup, same here.

Now, look at rpc.mountd, the thing responsible for doing the mounts, aka
mountd.

ted@dondra:~$ ldd /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
        libwrap.so.0 => /lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x40022000)

> if it's not linked against libwrap, then it must be explicitly stated in
> in inetd.conf type config file.
>
> at least, that's my understanding...

Yes, that's true.

For the archive, and those less well versed, "explicitly stated in
inetd.conf" would mean a line that contains "/usr/sbin/tcpd" in the
"server program" field of inetd.conf... in other words, it's either linked
against tcpwrappers libwrap, or you've specified tcpd as part of the
invocation command line.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/