2003 Jul 14 14:17

[vox-tech] emacs delete key-binding

The default setup of emacs for Red Hat causes the "backspace" key to delete backward 1 character, the "delete" key to delete forward 1 character, and "C-w" to kill a high-lighted region.

I would like to have the "delete" key assigned to kill a highlighted region in addition to deleting 1 character forward. This is common behavior of most gui text editors and word processors. I tried the following in my .emacs file:

(global-set-key [delete] 'kill-region)

This does assign "delete" to kill-region, but no longer works to delete forward 1 character. If I the add the following to .emacs:

(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

whichever assignment comes last (delete-char or kill-region) takes precedence. If I have the following:

(global-set-key [delete] 'kill-region 'delete-char)

I get errors on emacs startup (see below), but both delete-char and kill-region are in fact assigned to "delete"! Is there a correct way to do this? I am new to elisp (obviously).

Thanks,
Jonathan

An error has occurred while loading `/home/jjstickel/.emacs':

Wrong number of arguments: #[(key command) "\302!\204