2003 Jul 09 22:49

Re: [vox-tech] compiling tutorial

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

After a short peruse, it looks good. I would recommend making a pdf as well as a ps. For us folks coming from the land of the GUI (which I assume includes these high schoolers), we like to use Acrobat Reader. Use a good dvi->pdf translator, such as dvipdfm. I like pdf's because the text is searchable and can be copy-pasted.

Jonathan

good suggestion.  the students are going to be viewing this from my
teaching webpage -- it's where i dump all my teaching assistant stuff:

http://www.dirac.org/p/teaching/

there's a link to "compiling programs" that has postscript and pdf
versions, along with the tex source plus a makefile.

btw, you'll get better results generating pdf from latex using
"pdflatex".  i used to use ps2pdf, but i've always been able to tell
there's a loss in quality.

pdflatex is simply wonderful, and you can important all sorts of graphic
file formats which would be an utter nightmare to use in normal latex.
much nicer than vanilla latex (norm matloff introduced me to the wonders
of pdflatex).

pete
I tried (briefly) using pdflatex awhile back and didn't like it for primarily procedural reasons. I tex in Emacs and use the pulldown menu to compile a dvi. I then look at the dvi with Kdvi, which autoupdates if already open. When it all looks right, _then_ I make a top quality pdf with dvipdfm, which can be run through Kdvi's menus.

Anyway, pdflatex skips the dvi step, so I can't quickly see what my output looks like. Also, I use primarily eps graphics, which pdflatex does not support. I do know it supports many other graphics, but with cryptic syntax.

Probably should switch the topic if we continue...

I do like your compilation howto. I just tried out the optimization flag; something I wasn't even aware of!

Jonathan