2003 Jul 08 16:00

Re: [vox-tech] compiling tutorial

hi jonathan,

On Tue 08 Jul 03, 12:03 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@myrealbox.com> said:
> Pete
>
> I am actually teaching myself c++ at the moment, with very little
> previous programming knowledge.  It looks like your guide will be useful
> to me; I just have to replace gcc with g++!

:)

i don't think there's anything C or C++ specific in the guide.  i think
adding a note about g++ in the "final words" would be a good thing to
do.  thanks for bringing this up!

i'm particularly proud that all my sections and corresponding exercises
aren't broken across pages.  you don't have to turn the page to continue
a given section.

> After a short peruse, it looks good.  I would recommend making a pdf as
> well as a ps.  For us folks coming from the land of the GUI (which I
> assume includes these high schoolers), we like to use Acrobat Reader.
> Use a good dvi->pdf translator, such as dvipdfm.  I like pdf's because
> the text is searchable and can be copy-pasted.
>
> Jonathan

good suggestion.  the students are going to be viewing this from my
teaching webpage -- it's where i dump all my teaching assistant stuff:

http://www.dirac.org/p/teaching/

there's a link to "compiling programs" that has postscript and pdf
versions, along with the tex source plus a makefile.

btw, you'll get better results generating pdf from latex using
"pdflatex".  i used to use ps2pdf, but i've always been able to tell
there's a loss in quality.

pdflatex is simply wonderful, and you can important all sorts of graphic
file formats which would be an utter nightmare to use in normal latex.
much nicer than vanilla latex (norm matloff introduced me to the wonders
of pdflatex).

pete