2003 Jul 03 10:58

Re: [vox-tech] good reference source for fstab permissions

Re: [vox-tech] good reference source for fstab permissions

Donald Childs wrote:
Thanks for all the assistance . I'm able to write to the vfat partition
now, using:

/dev/hdf4    /mnt/fat    vfat user,rw,uid=[user],gid=[workgroup] 0 0

but will go back and add the showexec attribute.
This is different from what I use for my fat32 partition(s). I have in my fstab:

/dev/hda5 /Documents vfat defaults,quiet,umask=0000 0 0

I'd like to learn a little more about these mount options, if someone cares to enlighten me:

My method mounts on bootup, allows all users read/write permission, and quiets failed attempts to change file ownership/permissions. Reading a little of the man page, I get the impression that "umask=0000" and "quiet" essentially overrides the "suid" implied by using the "default" option. Is this about right?

It seems to me Donald's fstab entry only gives read/write permission to [user] and [workgroup]. Also, it is not clear to me whether the partition would mount on startup or with "mount -a" ("auto" option is not specified). But I can see the ownership/permission problems of fat is solved by assigning the entire partition to just one user. How am I here?

I am also curious about the "showexec" option. If I used it, would it make "quiet" unnecessary?

Thanks,
Jonathan