2003 Jul 02 20:16

Re: [vox-tech] Uninstalling glibc

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:29:36PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I get the following when I:
>
> meir:~# apt-get install libc6/stable libc6-dev/stable locales/stable
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Selected version 2.2.5-11.5 (Debian-Security:3.0/stable) for libc6
> Selected version 2.2.5-11.5 (Debian-Security:3.0/stable) for libc6-dev
> Selected version 2.2.5-11.5 (Debian-Security:3.0/stable) for locales
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   gdm: Depends: scrollkeeper (>= 0.1.4-1) but it is not going to be
> installed
>   libdb1-compat: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13) but 2.2.5-11.5 is to be
> installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify
> a solution).
> meir:~#

When something like this happens, it means these probably need to be
downgraded too. (Recursively until you get a downgrade that works)

What occurred to me though, is that I should have simply suggested that
you should try pinning stable at some value higher than 1000, and then
dist-upgrade, which should do this more intelligently. Of course, if
you've upgraded other packages beyond stable and only want to downgrade
a few, then this method won't work (that's why I didn't think of it
right away - I rarely want to downgrade my whole distribution)

How to pin: In /etc/apt/preferences, put something like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1100

After you're finished downgrading, then remove this from
/etc/apt/preferences.
My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu