2003 Jun 30 12:06

Re: [vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:37:15AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2003 10:07 am, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> > >
> > > Technically, libraries are not part of the language.
> >
> > Not from the standpoint of your typical language spec (at least for
> > C). The C standard specifies the standard library as part of the
> > language; though I seem to recall that C++ seperates them more
> > distinctly in the language.
>
> Do you have a reference for that?  I always thought that
> language by definition does not include libraries.  Perhaps
> the standard you are referring to covers more than just the
> language.

The usual reference the first sentence of the first paragraph of the
first section ("Scope") of the standard, which states:

  This International Standard specifies the form and establishes the
  interpretation of programs written in the C programming language.

Yet, this standard provides a clause detailing all standard C library
facilities. It is generally accepted among comp.lang.c regulars that
the standard C library is part of the language itself, according to
the language of the standard.

For corroborations from respected regulars of comp.lang.c, including
Dan Pop, who while sometimes rather rude has the reputation of
near-inscrutability in issues regarding the C language and standard
(pick arguments with him at your own risk: he tends to fight dirty,
and he's nearly always right); and Chris Torek, responsible for
writing huge portions of the FreeBSD C and system libraries:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9606231913.AA17433%40ues5.cern.ch&rnum=1

  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=97i9i0%242f3%241%40elf.bsdi.com&rnum=1

  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=885344571snz%40genesis.demon.co.uk&rnum=58

-Micah