2003 Jun 29 16:55

Re: [vox-tech] autofs - visible mountpoints and mountpoint locations

Re: [vox-tech] autofs - visible mountpoints and mountpoint locations

On 2003.06.29 11:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi all,

i just learned how to configure and use autofs.  works great except
for
a few minor glitches.

one of the minor glitches is that the mount point, say, /auto/cdrom,
disappears until the filesystem gets mount.  for example, this
produces
no output:

   $ ls /auto/

however, this produces the the directory listing for the cd drive:

   $ ls /auto/cdrom

in other words, when automount runs, the mount point is not there
until
you ls or cd into the directory.  when the filesystem gets unmounted,
the mount point directory again disappears.

i googled for this, and found that other people experience the same
thing.  it kind of sucks because:

1. can't use filename completion (which i rely on)

2. graphical file openers cannot reach the filesytem.

3. having to tickle the directory before you use it is just
   very unaesthetic.

does anybody know a way around this?   in other words, does anybody
know
how to keep the directories visible even when the filesystem isn't
mounted?

i could've sworn i've installed mandrake systems at our IF's that had
this behavior....

another minor glitch is that it appears you can't automount onto a top
level directory.  in other words, i can have the cd automount into
/auto/cdrom but not into /cdrom.  this is frustrating, because i
really
like having the mountpoint /cdrom.  can someone confirm or refute
this?
if possible, i'd REALLY like to have /cdrom, /floppy, and /jaz
automount
rather than /auto/cdrom, /auto/floppy, and /auto/jaz.

thanks!
pete
Mandrake systems use a different kernel patch called supermount, so it sets up a fstab line where the fstype field is "supermount", one for each drive.

It sounds like autofs creates one mountpoint from the mount command's point of view, and lists all of the removable media drives there as it discovers that someone wants them,

My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu