January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jun 29 18:28

Re: [vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

On 2003.06.29 04:51, Rod Roark wrote:
On Sunday 29 June 2003 02:32 am, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Okay, just out of curiosity.  Say one wanted to create a 'Java
application'
> (e.g., something that runs in a web browser, cell phone or PDA JVM),
> but they wanted to write the application using the C /language/.
>
> This is possible, is it not?  If so, are there some tools for this
> under Linux?  (I see "gjc", the Java compiler from GNU, as well as
> "gij", the Java bytecode interpreter from GNU; but nothing for
> taking code in other programming languages and turning them into
Java
> bytecode)

I don't know of any way to do that, nor why anyone would
want to.  Java syntax already resembles C quite a bit.

Tell them to write it in C, run it through a Java compiler,
and fix the parts that don't work.  :-)
This is totally not possible.

First, many important syntactic features of C don't work in Java
(structs, for example, pointer dereferences for another). Second, their standard libraries have very different names for most things (even something so simple as the sine function has two different incompatible lines to call it in the two different languages - in c it's sin() , and in java it's Math.sine() ). So I can't even copy/paste strictly mathematical functions between the two languages.
My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu