2003 Jun 17 09:31

Re: [vox-tech] Linux sound recording

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 08:15:19AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 17 Jun 03,  6:59 AM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:
> > I am looking to do some sound recording on Linux. Specifically, I want to
> > digitise some valuble old audiotapes before they or my tape player decay. So
> > I think I need a sound card. Criteria:
> >
> > * high quality analog-to-digital converter in stereo
> > * input from tape deck via cable for said converter
> > * Linux support, of course
> > * Reasonable cost
> >
> > Any recommendations?
>
> yes.  i don't have an answer, but i know where you can get one.
>
> 1. the linux audio quality howto.   i found this by accident.  it's not
> a real howto, so it's not on tldp.org.  you'll have to google for it.
>
> 2. the linux-audio-user mailing list.

Excellent! Both are to be found at http://www.linuxdj.com.o

The main two points seem to be:

1. Get all analog signals as far away as possible from AC power and any PC
   electronics.

2. Buy high-end hardware intended for recording, not gamer / comsumer
   hardware.

Dumb newbie question: is a high signal-to-noise ratio (e.g., 100 dB) better
than a low one?

--
Henry House
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key: