January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jun 19 04:09

[vox-tech] [OT] surround sound speakers out of phase

[vox-tech] [OT] surround sound speakers out of phase

I bet someone on this list can answer my question...

I just moved and had to rebuild my entertainment center.  The satellite
installer comes tomorrow -- that is when the real fun will begin!

After setting up my tv, stereo, dvd player, etc I played a diagnostic CD
to test my surround sound speakers.  I learned that both of my rear
speakers are out of phase, which I learned means that the positive wire is
connected to the negative terminal and vice versa.  The speaker wire is
hardwired to the speaker and there is an RCA connector on the other end
that connects to the amp/receiver.

At first I thought this was a manufacturing defect.  Then I thought...
maybe the rear speakers are supposed to be out of phase.

I would normally open the speaker box, switch the wires around and solder
them back in place, but it looks like I won't be able to get inside the
speaker box without damaging it.

Now I'm thinking I'll just tear open the RCA cable and patch the positive
wire to the negative wire and vice versa.  Then I'll just wrap some
electrical tape around the cable and watch a movie.  ;-)

What do you think... Are the rear speakers supposed to be out of phase?
Will tearing into the RCA cable and swapping the wires around make the
speakers sound better?

Thanks for your help!

Charles