2003 Jun 16 10:34

Re: [vox-tech] Migration from UNIX to Redhat

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:49:49AM -0700, ME wrote:

> You won't want to copy the *system* usernames/groups and their associated
> uid/gid though -- just the users on the system.

Not that I foresee myself doing something like this any time soon, but I'm
curious...

What's the best way to determine what are "system" usernames and groups?

I'm guessing under Linux that there's a _fairly_ well-defined standard
that one can just look up in a book, ask here, or do a Google search for.

But there are so many weird permutations of "Unix" out there, that I bet
there's stuff that a newbie like me wouldn't recognize.

Somewhat-related, anyone got a good pointer to a web-page that explains
"wheel", what it's for, and where it came from?

Again, just out of curiosity, so consider this request "nice 19"ed ;^)