2003 Jun 16 09:48

Re: [vox-tech] Migration from UNIX to Redhat

"Ehrhart, Jay" <ehrhart@ycoe.org> writes:

> I want to migrate users, passwords and email from an Intergate UNIX box
> to my new Redhat 8.0 server.
>
> I don't know where to start.  How can I make the transition from the
> UNIX box to the Redhat server?

- Disallow logins from outside world on both boxes (except for you).
- Create the users on the new box.  It will be easier if you keep the
  same UIDs or use NIS.
- Move the home directories.  I like to do this over nfs and use tar:
       cd /home; tar cpf - . | (cd /new/home; tar xvf -)
- Move the user's cron jobs.
- Enable logins from outside world on the new box.

That's all that comes to mind right now.  If the server also receives
mail you will need to turn off mail delivery, move the mail, move the
mail aliases, and reenable mail delivery.

--
Ricardo Anguiano
http://www.codesourcery.com