2003 Jun 13 06:03

Re: [vox-tech] Problem wth init 5

A question:

   - What files did you fiddle with?
   - How did you ultimately make it boot into text?

Instructions:

   - Post /etc/inittab (yes, the whole thing)
   - Did you fiddle with Lilo or Grub at all?  If so,
     post any "append=" instructions from the config files.
   - Did you fiddle with prefdm, gdm, kdm, or xdm at all?
     If so, try running prefdm to verify it's working.
     (It may tell you not to do that, but let's just try
     and see if it works.)

-Mark

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, joel pinto wrote:

> I have installed linux redhat 7.3 on a machine with 64
> MB RAM. The machine was bootng into graphics mode by
> default. I fiddled with the setup/system to go to the
> text mode.
> Now the machine does'nt go the graphics mode, after
> booting the screen will b flickering and  am unable to
> login.
>
> I am able to go to single user mode and sucessfully
> run init 3.
> But there seems to be a problem with init 5.
> Also by runnng command statrx, I am able to go to
> graphics mode.
>
> Can any one suggest how to tackle ths problem ???
>
> Regards
> joel
>

> =====
> JOEL PINTO