January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jun 11 18:41

Re: [vox-tech] Parsing Html

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 05:23:29PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Why do you have to use "\00" and then split on only "\0"?  I understand that
> they are just markers to split by, but I'm missing something about the
> escaping.

  oh... I don't know if that is required or habit.  Inside a sed
search and replace expression (for historical reasons) \1 is the first
grouping \2 is second, etc... upto \9.  If you want a literal character
from the sed's that support the operation \ and two or three digits
is an octal number which you want substituted.
  inside a perl string there is no non-sense like that, so "\0" works,
you don't need multiple digits.