2003 Jun 10 12:08

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

On 2003.06.10 00:56, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
On Mon 09 Jun 03,  5:05 PM, Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu> said:

> Set up your X keyboard according to instructions included at
> http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/pango-hebrew.html
> A diagram of the keyboard layout is available at that site.
>
> Hit right-alt once to toggle to hebrew and start typing. When you
save
> your work, the result will be a utf-8 encoded file.
>
> As an added bonus, applications that support pango (and this
includes
> the standard text boxes in GTK+ 2.x, gaim conversations, AbiWord,
and
> more) will also allow hebrew input using the same right-alt language
> switch.
hebrew are keymaps based on a phonetic layout which non native
speakers
would be interested in.

hebrewp keymaps are what native speakers would use -- people with
real native hebrew keyboards.
this is backwards. the p stands for phonetic

as you point out, they're just vim keymaps.  they don't work with
anything else like xterm or abiword.

now what i *really* would like is a phonetic keymap for X.  if i use a
phonetic keymap for vim and the native keymap for abiword, i shall
surely go insane....
All you need to do is modify the key mapping you downloaded and
re-arrange things until it is phonetic. That's not terribly difficult to do.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu