2003 Jun 10 04:03

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

On Mon 09 Jun 03,  5:18 PM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:59:58PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> [...]
> > as a first stab at getting utf-8 capable xterms, i set:
> >
> >    LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
>
> Locales do not work unless they are generated. Under Debian, run
> dpkg-reconfigure locales and ask for en_US.UTF-8 and en_US.ISO-8859-1.
> Your /etc/locale.gen should then look like mine:
>
> 	en_US ISO-8859-1
> 	en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
>
> As it says, run locale-gen. Then set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in all shells.

excellent!  just like you said, everything Just Works.  mutt threading
looks the same as always.  thanks henry!

> Multibyte-supporting programs will Just Work. Multibyte-disabled software
> will break, but you can then fall back on ISO-8859-1 (aka Latin1).
>
> As you already figured out, you need to use a UTF-8 capable terminal emulator
> and a suitable font. Under the console, run unicode_start and UTF-8 should
> start working. You may need to fiddle with console fonts as well.

i didn't know how to change console fonts before.  google rocks.  :)

just added utf encoding to vim.  i think i'm now running fully utf-8.
woo hoo!  :)

thanks henry!
pete