2003 Jun 10 00:57

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

Re: [vox-tech] vim and utf-8 support (newbie alert)

On 2003.06.09 13:59, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
thanks mark...

On Mon 09 Jun 03,  1:27 PM, Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> said:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > * start an xterm with a suitable font: "xterm -fn <fontname> -e
vim"
> > * use utf-8 encoding which uses encodes unicode and ISO10646 text.
> > * load a suitable keymap to help make entering text easier.
> >

> > is all this correct so far?  even in a "touchy-feely" way?   i'm a
> > complete newbie in this topic.
>
> It depends on the foreign language and how it's encoded.
>
> The XTerm has its own encoding and fonts (mostly designed for
latin-based
> languages).  VIM also has its own encoding and fonts.  It gets
really
> tricky because there are so many systems depending on each other,
and you
> may have to trick one or more of the systems to make the foreign
language
> work, but which systems you can trick depends on the foreign
language
> you wanna work with.
>
> What language are you working with?  Latin-based languages only need
font
> change, and you can probably just change the fonts on XTerm.
Multibyte
> languages (ie, CJK) generally need special XTerm that understands
that
> language (generally using its own, non-utf-8, encoding).  I won't
even
> touch right-to-left or up-and-down languages (that requires both
terminal
> and Vim support.)

right-to-left languages are really, really, really well supported in
vim.  at least, they seem to be.  check out:

   :set rl

all the vim commands i can think of work well.

the language i'm thinking of is hebrew, but with some important
issues.

1. i need vowel support.
2. i really want to have mixed hebrew/english

i believe taken together, i want to use ISO 10646 which can represent
all languages at the same time.

> > if this is about correct, how does one tell vim to encode the text
using
> > utf-8?
>
>    :set encoding=utf-8

> That tells VIM to interpret the file as though it's encoded in
UTF-8.
> But VIM's got no idea how the data should be displayed so I think it
> attemps to display them in unicode by default.  So your terminal
should
> also be capable of unicode and got all the necessary fonts.

as a first stab at getting utf-8 capable xterms, i set:

   LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

but wierd things started to happen, like mutt's threading lines turned
into really strange characters.  i guess the applications themselves
need to be utf-8 aware too.

Here is what I have found from a bit of research now. running uxterm or runnning xterm -u8 makes the xterm support data in both directions (input and output) that is encoded in hebrew. With that, select a font for the xterm that is encoded in iso10646-1. There should be lots of good choices, you can check them out using xfontsel.

I observed that for some reason the culmus fonts can't work as iso10646 in xfontsel or xterms, but they can handle it just fine in pango applications. Perhaps that's a bug in the debian packaging of these fonts (perhaps not having fonts.dir entries for iso10646-1) - I haven't filed a bug on this though, so someone else can if they think it's a bug.

Inside the xterm, run vim -H (or just run vim and :set rl this won't change vim's keyboard layout, so it will let you type english too, although it wll be backwards) and set its encoding to utf-8 as per the directions that we have already discussed:
:set encoding=utf-8

Set up your X keyboard according to instructions included at http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/pango-hebrew.html
A diagram of the keyboard layout is available at that site.

Hit right-alt once to toggle to hebrew and start typing. When you save your work, the result will be a utf-8 encoded file.

As an added bonus, applications that support pango (and this includes the standard text boxes in GTK+ 2.x, gaim conversations, AbiWord, and more) will also allow hebrew input using the same right-alt language switch.

From the looks of things, Vim's keyboard layouts also appear to support vowels when you're working in UTF-8, but I don't know what keys you have to press to get them. They have the advantage of having some kind of phonetic layout (pete, can you confirm this for me?), but the disadvantage of only working in vim.

שלום

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu