2003 Jun 09 05:16

Re: [vox-tech] Playing Mp3 files

Hi,

Thanks mark,  you are the best.  You always come up with something better
:).

> I use mplayer for all video formats (though it does handle some audio
> formats.)  Mplayer is available from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/ but
> compiling it from source can be a little tricky for a beginner.  It does
> have RedHat 7.x RPM package for download online which may work for RedHat
> 9.x.  You may also need to download and install codecs for Real and QT but
> installing it may be tricky.  Let us know if and when you get to that.

I installed it today.  You know i tried to install this way back but didnt
work.  I downloaded
rpm version of mplayer.  Guess i m not that good with rpm but this time i
did something differently
I used Webmin to install this rpm and i m sure the error i got before was
something to do
with [ dependency ] so i selected no dependency option and installed this
rpm and it installed
like a charm.  Guess webmin has some nice interface to do these kinda of
work :).

I played one .dat movie to start with and it worked.  I guess i need to get
my hand
dirty with lots of command line option(i downloaded command line version
cause
its small in size).  Didnt try mp3 one it, you think it can play mp3 too.  I
am at office
now but will go and try at home.

> For audio files (mp3, ogg, etc.), I use xmms.  Xmms probably comes with
> RedHat.  Unfortunately, there were some licensing issues with mp3 some
> time ago that prevented free software from including mp3 support.  So the
> version installed on your system (if it's installed) may or may not work
> with mp3.  But it's worth a try.  Let us know if it doesn't work and we'll
> figure something else out.

Yes it didnt work :):):):):):):).  It say Nicely "We dont support mp3
anymore".  You
think some plugin kinda trick will work.  If yes lemme know the place from
where i can download and make it work.  One think it did better than redhat
8.0
is that it put up this message that we dont support mp3 anymore, in 8 it
stud dumb with
no message as to why its not playing.