2003 Jun 09 00:49

Re: [vox-tech] Mounting remote filesystems redux

Re: [vox-tech] Mounting remote filesystems redux

Slashdot mentioned about SHFS not too long ago, I think?  It actually
works over SSH (or RSH) by emulating keystrokes over the connection, but
locally it looks like a real file system.  Access is supposed to be fast
because files are cached.

Never used it but sounded interesting enough to keep it in mind.

-Mark

On 8 Jun 2003, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I just realized that what I asked wasn't terribly clear.  Let's try that
> again.
>
> I have my account with a webhosting service, www.pair.com.  When I'm
> working on my website, I like to use Bluefish as my editor, although
> that does not have a built-in FTP client like my favorite Windows
> editors.  So to test my PHP pages, I have to edit them locally with
> Bluefish, and then SCP the files up to pair.com before I can test them.
> It's a time-consuming process.
>
> What I'd love to be able to do is to mount the files from my account on
> pair.com to a mountpoint on my local machine; say,
> /opt/home/richard/pair.  That way I could let my machine handle the
> process of sending files back and forth to Pair in the background and I
> wouldn't have to switch back and forth between Bluefish and SCP all the
> time.
>
> Naturally, I want the connection to be as secure as possible, which is
> why I want to do it by SSH.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> --
> --
> Slainte,
> Richard S. Crawford
> AIM: Buffalo2K / Y!: rscrawford / ICQ: 11640404
> http://www.mossroot.com http://www.stonegoose.com
> "It is only with our heart that we can see clearly.  What is essential
> is invisible to the eye."  --Antoine de Saint Exupery

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.