2003 Jun 08 00:00

Re: [vox-tech] debian login

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 02:27:18PM -0800, stoatspam@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I brought my computer to the installfest but they weren't able to get x
> working. I'd like to be able to just get rid of everything X related and
> then try to do a clean setup of X where I understand every step.

Definately a good idea. The command 'apt-get remove --purge xlibs xserever\*
xfonts\* xfs\*' (note backslashes) will remove the X packages and purge their
configuration files, in order to force re-configuration from scratch when you
reinstall.  You had better check after you do this for any othe rx-related
packages using 'dpkg -l | grep x'.

> How should I do that? And anyway I haven't seen any sign that the
> flickering login screen is at all related to X. If it was the graphical X
> kind of login screen that was flickering and then it went to a stable text
> login screen then that would be that, but it is the plain old text login
> screen that is flickering.

Not necessarily. To check if an X display manager is configured to run, look
in /etc/rc2.d for links containing names like xdm, wdm, gdm, or kdm. Example:
S99xdm. All links in this directory (which point to daemon initialization
scripts in /etc/init.d) that begin with S are started in alphabetical order
when the system enters runlevel 2 (the default on Debian). The numbers are
there only to influnce the order.

--
Henry House