2003 Jun 05 20:37

Re: [vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

On Thursday 05 June 2003 11:35 am, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> --- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> <snip>
>
> After 16 lines of "...disabled for 5 minutes" I
> did a physical power off.
>
> Then booted clean to cli.  Did s-u-o 3 times with
> the same result each time:
>    s-u-o, "power off", black screen, reboot.
>
> lsmod reports "Not tainted" following a clean
> reboot to the command line.
>
> To answer Shawn's question, this RH 8.0 is
> running the 2.4.18-14 kernel.

That's fairly out of date.  You might try, at Mike's direction, upgrading
to the latest, which is 2.4.20-18.7, just released a few days ago.
There have been several stock kernels released between yours
and this one; with some online research, you could look for your
problem.  There are many security and bug fixes, anyway.