2003 Jun 02 15:05

Re: [vox-tech] graphics card suggestion for 1920x1200

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 04:02:55PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:21:29AM -0700, jeremic@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> > I just got a SONY sdm-P232W LCD monitor and was wondering if anyone can
> > suggest a graphics card for this one.
>
> Boris,
>
>   Not being very into graphics cards, I would recommend some ATI brand
> card, since they have open 3D drivers, which will be better for you
> long term.  I would avoid NVidia since they have closed 3D drivers.

Last I checked ATI drivers were just as closed, and not nearly as up
to date.  For instance the new Radeons require a binary driver which doesn't
exist for XFree86-4.3.

So basically your completely out of luck.  Kinda frustrating since they
are quite popular/cheap, and ship on many dell's these days.

If someone has a pointer to an opensource radeon 9700 3d driver please
let me know and I'll put it to good use.

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics