2003 May 30 12:39

Re: [vox-tech] FTP folder access question

Re: [vox-tech] FTP folder access question

I don't know Pure-FTPD, but sometimes an FTP servers won't let you login
with root previleges.  In this case, it may be putting you in a chrooted
environment instead of not letting you login at all, since adm is in the
root group.  Just a guess.  To eliminate this possibility, try logging in
as a normal user and see if that changes anything.

Also, check your settings to make sure it's not always putting the users
in chrooted environment, similar to how FTP servers handle anonymous
logins.

-Mark

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Ehrhart, Jay wrote:

> This is a newbie question.
>
> I have loaded a server with Red Hat 8.0.  I installed Pure-FTPD.  Using
> WSFTP client I login and am in my home folder.  The user I am using is
> in the adm and root groups.
> I cannot navigate out of the home folder.  I specify which folder I want
> to login into in WSFTP and it still drops me in my home folder. I
> created a test folder under the root directory and gave myself all
> permissions and set WSFTP to put me there and I end up in my home
> folder.  I can't type in the path in WSFTP and get any where.  WSFTP
> says the folder does not exist.  I tried var and etc and it says folders
> do not exist.
> How do I set this up so I can move up from my home folder and get to
> other folders?  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Jay

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/