January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 29 16:13

Re: [vox-tech] Linux graphing software?

It won't be long before someone recommends gnuplot. I haven't used it much due to my reliance on Matlab (which runs nicely in Linux, but certainly isn't "free"). Another option is Octave, an open source program very much like Matlab, which happens uses gnuplot for plotting.

Anyway, my contribution to this thread is to recommend xfig for "post-processing" of plots as well as drawing original diagrams. I have found it invaluable in touching up Matlab exported plots, such as modifying axis labels, etc. xfig exports in numerous formats, some of which import very nicely into LaTeX. In particular, I use the export option "combined PS/LaTeX", allowing me to use LaTeX syntax for the text in the figures.

Jonathan

Alexandra Thorn wrote:
As I get to actually finishing up with my masters's thesis, I'm starting
to think about ways to actually present my data.  I'm wondering if anyone
out there has some recommendations of some relatively accessible Linux
softward for creating pretty scatterplots of real data.  In the past I've
tended to use MSExcel for this sort of thing but would like to shake that
habit for obvious reasons.

Thanks,
Alex