2003 May 21 18:02

Re: [vox-tech] Setting up an ftp server

I would suggest SSH instead. By following the instructions in the RH documentation, I have used it succesfully in both RH8 and RH9. I use GFTP to transfer files over SSH.

Jonathan

Wojciech Komornicki wrote:
I am running RedHat Linux 9.0 on a laptop. I would like to enable ftp
access to the laptop. When I try to ftp to the Linux box I get 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
and the ftp session is closed. I am not looking to install anonymous ftp.

I run Digital UNIX on my desktop workstation and there I have a file
inetd.conf
in which is recorded how to start up the ftp daemon. Is there such a
configuration file. The man page for /etc/services mentions inetd.conf
but the man page for inetd.conf is not installed on my machine and
neither is the file.

Thanks
--
Wojciech Komornicki