2003 May 21 13:57

Re: [vox-tech] CD writer suggestions?

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:41:20AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> A project I may be working on will require that I burn some test discs,
> so it looks like I'm going to have to get a CD burner that actually _works_.
> (The one we have in Melissa's PC has been consistently flakey; Googling came
> up with other folks who've had problems with it in the past.)
>
> Can someone recommend something reliable and easy-to-use under Linux?
> (My desktop system is IDE, so I'd just be swapping out my current IDE drive.
> I'd rather not spend time/energy adding SCSI to my system, as I'd like to
> replace it completely one of these days.)

Another Reco. for Plextor.  I just burned 40-50 gnuwinii and Knoppix
CD's ;-) at 16X with zero failures.  It's also way better than my old
Ricoh was at DAO.

A big factor in burner reliability and longevity is, I think, vigilance
in keeping dusty or dirty CD's out of the drive, either to read or to
write.

-troy