January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 21 08:38

Re: [vox-tech] starting screen from shell startup script

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> So now I'm ready to learn screen.

Ok...

>  So I'm about to put screen in my startup script.

... but I don't see that this is necessary or even a good idea?

> Except...
> Once I login, it'll execute screen, which will run screen again, which
> will run screen again, then again, etc. and it'll be caught in an infinite
> loop.  Or does it detect itself somehow?  Or do I play with my
> bash_profile vs. bashrc thing?  How do I prevent it from running itself
> recursively?

Screen supports reconnection ("-r") after intentional ("-d") or
unintentional (communication failure) disconnection... but you have to
give it the right options before it will Do What You Want.  Personally, I
like to re-use a single instance of screen.  It might be possible to
automate management of that, but I would think you would know how to do
that after doing it manually for awhile.

If you do proceed to automate based on terminal type like ME suggests,
and if you ssh between different machines or accounts, what will happen
when you ssh into your other account and it sees that you are already
using "screen" from the first account?  You might be better off not using
screen locally when you connect to your remote account.  Thus, putting it
into your local .profile could prove to be inconvenient.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing