2003 May 22 11:29

Re: [vox-tech] Computer case for lots of drives...

Re: [vox-tech] Computer case for lots of drives...

Mike,

Somebody feel free to prove me wrong, but I'd be surprised if anyone makes a case like you've outlined. There's little or no commercial demand for it; people wanting to do RAID or just control that many drives generally go for hotswap SCSI.

There are a couple of computer surplus stores in the area with used SCSI gear for sale. You should be able to get a fast/wide controller for less than $30 and individual 9 or 18 gb drives for around $15-25 each. Since it's SCSI you can put the drives in their own case (which you can also find used) separate from the motherboard if you like. Or you can buy an old HP netserver or compaq somethingorother; these have room for a motherboard and six or seven hotswap bays. The place I was in yesterday had several netservers for around $150 each. They also had a big crate of "untested" SCSI drives for I think $3 each.

--
Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338