2003 May 14 15:19

Re: [vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Michael Wenk wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 May 2003 11:00 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
[snip]
> > in addition, debian allows you to run a *very* stable operating system,
> > an up to date system, or a truly bleeding edge system, depending on what
> > you want to set up.  you can even mix and match all three, so you can,
> > for instance, run a very rock solid system but have truly bleeding edge
> > copies of the mesa and sdl libraries, for instance.
>
> Problem with debian is its the debian way or a broken system.  Which is not
> the way I want to go.

I don't think I'll be mixing-and-matching stable and testing and
whatnot.  I think the way I wanna maintain my system is:

   1. Run stable

   2. If I want a bleeding-edge version of a software, compile it
      manually and stick it in /usr/local.

   3. When new stable gets released, remove the source-compiled version
      of the software, if the version I want is in the new stable.

One of the problems with Mandrake or RedHat has been that I wasn't running
latest-enough version of libraries to source-compile programs if I wanted
a bleeding-edge version of programs (or wanted a program not on the CD).
To be running latest enough versions of things, I had to upgrade
everything (download ISO, burn, reboot, install, cross fingers and hope it
didn't break anything), and also cross fingers that the packages I need
are on the CD.  Usually I'd just try to get the latest RPM, packaged by
some third-party packager not compatible with future version of the
distro, which wouldn't install because I didn't have another necessary
RPM, or wouldn't install because another RPM installed on the system
depends on the older version of the RPM I'm trying to upgrade.  I'm sure
I'll have some upgrade issues with Debian, too, but I'll run into much
less trouble than those I had with RedHat or Mandrake, I think.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/