2003 May 14 12:41

Re: [vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> writes:
> On Wed 14 May 03, 10:37 AM, Ricardo Anguiano <anguiano@codesourcery.com> opined:
>> Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> writes:
>> > not releasing beta copies of gcc that don't compile the kernel.
>>
>> Yeah, that's a not good.  Thankfully gcc is not hard to install from
>> source.
>
> heh.  no thanks.   :)

No, really.  It's just a variant of the configure, make, make install
dance most packages have.  All you need is some disk space and some
time.  A c/c++-only bootstrap builds on my Athlon-900/512MB RAM in
about 40 minutes.

        http://gcc.gnu.org/install/

Next time I build one, I can send a typescript to the list if anyone
is interested.

>> > apt and apt related tools
>>
>> Apt for redhat:
>> http://apt.freshrpms.net/
>
> does it come with apt by default?

No.  It isn't in RedHat's interest, AFAICT.

> in addition, debian allows you to run a *very* stable operating
> system, an up to date system, or a truly bleeding edge system,
> depending on what you want to set up.  you can even mix and match
> all three, so you can, for instance, run a very rock solid system
> but have truly bleeding edge copies of the mesa and sdl libraries,
> for instance.

Sounds kind of like FreeBSD's -STABLE and -CURRENT branches.  I always
meant to give debian a spin.  Apt reminds me of pkg_add.

--
Ricardo Anguiano
http://www.codesourcery.com