January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 13 09:46

Re: [vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> if you want to be anal about the debian filesystem standard, then you
> should place your script in /usr/local/etc/init.d and then make the
> appropriate links in /etc/rcX.d.

I've never heard of this as a debian standard... can you point this out
in the docs?

> this has the benefit that if you ever have to reinstall debian for any
> reason, the install won't blow away your script unless you tell debian
> to initialize the partition containing /usr/local during the reinstall
> process.

True about /usr/local being "protected" in the standard...

> the quick and dirty method is to place your script in /etc/rc.boot.

This is the preferred way IMHO... /etc/rc.boot is specificially for local
system boot scripts.  It has the same "protected" status as /usr/local
does as far as I recall.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/