2003 May 12 19:41

Re: [vox-tech] printing manpages and really temporary variables

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:04:34PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> a few months ago i stumbled on something useful.  maybe other people
> will find it useful too.
>
> often i want to print manpages in very small font.  using enscript -f
> Courier7, usually.
>
> but doing so is a paper waster unless you start resizing the xterm since
> by default, you'll get 80 characters per column.  to get the full width
> of my printer, i use:
>
> COLUMNS=120 man latex2rtf | enscript -f Courier7 -o /tmp/blah;  gv /tmp

That just seems wrong: translating a groff-format file into text-only,
and then using that to generate a printable format. Personally, I'd
use:

$ groff -Tps -man /path/to/manpages/latex2rtf.1 > /tmp/blah

Though I don't know if that would get you the font-size you
desire... But then, that's what I use pstools for.

(The command line above won't work for gzipped manpages, obviously...)

-Micah