January 6: Social gathering
2003 May 09 16:53

[vox-tech] Re: ATI Radeon

> Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 06:38:53 -0700
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ATI Radeon
> From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>

> my understanding is that the 3rd generation radeons (7500, 8000, 9500,
> etc) had proprietary drivers written by ATI and free drivers written by
> xfree86.
>
> didn't the weather channel, or something like that, fund development of
> the free 9500 driver?
>
> if this is right, just out of curiosity, why are you using the
> proprietary drivers?

The XF4.2 drivers have no 3D hardware acceleration. XF drivers work just fine
for other apps. But Wolfenstein Enemy Territory run in software rendering. ;-)

> i thought your motherboard is something like a month old.  i doubt there
> would be drivers right now.  when i first bought my athlon 1.4 (which
> btw was the fastest x86 CPU on earth for 2 weeks when i bought it) i had
> to wait about a month before i had motherboard agpgart support.

NVidia say that the next driver release (which is GPL for the sound, and non-GPL
for the LAN) will have AGP-GART for NForce2.

> of course i don't know the answer to this question, but if i had to take
> a good solid guess, i'd say the answer would be definitely "no".  are
> you really going to put ATI on that motherboard?  that's too funny.  :)

Well it's an Nforce2 board with no onboard-VGA. So pretty much it's just like
any other motherboard with an AGP slot. The latest NVidia AGP cards get blown
away the ATI Radeon 9000 in benchmarks so for the same price, why not. In
Windows it kicks butt (I dual boot).

Later,
Dietrich