2003 May 08 21:17

Re: [vox-tech] fwd: Debian install on 486

Re: [vox-tech] fwd: Debian install on 486

> From: stoat42@fastmail.fm
> To: "Henry House" <hajhouse@hajhouse.org>
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 13:49:03 -0800
>
> Henry:
> I tried to subscribe to one or another of the LUGOD email lists a few
> months ago but it didn't work so I forgot about it. Now, I sent the
> following message to the tech support list and it said it would get
> posted pending approval as I am not a member (of the list I guess,
> because the address I sent it from is the same that is listed for me on
> the members page). If you could help me with my problem and maybe help me
> get the issues with the list worked out I would appreciate it. Here is
> what I sent:

The list on the members page is independant of the mailing lists. So you need
to subscribe again if you want to use the lists. See
[http://lugod.org/mailinglists].

> "List:
> I tried to install Debian last night on my 486. Since it has no bootable
> CD drive I used the rescue floppy image and the root floppy image to get
> into the installation program. I got through the part about creating and
> initializing the root and swap partitions. When I chose "Install Kernel
> and System Modules" or something like that it said my CD had installable
> packages so I could do that or do it manually. I chose the first option
> and then it said it was getting a "Root Floppy Image" from disk or
> something. After a little bit it said "Floppy Error" and the attempt to
> extract Root Floppy Image from mounted medium failed, or something like
> that. I tried the whole thing again but with the last part about choosing
> packages done manually and it does the same thing. The result is that I
> can't install the kernel. Please help. Thanks.

I suspect that the either your floppy images or your CD are defective, but it
is impossible to be sure from the vague description above. Exact error
messages are essential. When duplicating floppies, be sure to do a full
format on them (not a quick format) before writing the disk images onto the
floppies. Good luck!

--
Henry House