2003 May 08 13:55

[vox-tech] perl question - arrays and lists

[vox-tech] perl question - arrays and lists

there's some code i wrote that does something like:

sub blah()
{
   foreach (@foobar)
   {
      push @array, ($foo, $bar);
   }

   return @array;
}

so i'm returning an array whose elements are each a list of two items.
the receiving code is something like:

   my @barfoo = blah();

what i've found is that @barfoo is no longer an array of lists.  the
lists appear to be "flattened out".

so in the previous example, if there's one element of @foobar and $foo
is "hello" and $bar is "dolly", then what i see is:

   $barfoo[0] is "hello";
   $barfoo[1] is "dolly";

when what i really want is;

   $barfoo[0] = ("hello", "dolly");

i know that arrays can hold lists, but i must not be doing it correctly.
do i need to do this with references?

pete