2003 May 07 07:06

Re: [vox-tech] Linux backup software

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:46:49AM -0700, Ehrhart, Jay wrote:
> I am running Red Hat Linux on my servers and I am looking for a backup
> software suite.  Any experience with a good software suite that will
> backup multiple servers?

Most Linux users put little stock in commercial backup suites. I suggest you
have a look a rsync, which can be invoked from a simple shell script and run
automatically over ssh. You could combine this with cvs to keep all old
revisions of important data and cron to run the backup process with any
frequency desired.

I only keep important data on one machine so that I only need to regularly
back up one server, but had I multiple servers I would definately use the
above method.

If you are still interested in a backup suite you might try AFBackup:

   http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/afbackup.html

or Amanda:

   http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/amanda-server.html

both of which are packaged for Debian :-). I have not used them but some
folks on debian-user like them.

--
Henry House