2003 May 06 15:57

Re: [vox-tech] crashes -- kernel problems?

Re: [vox-tech] crashes -- kernel problems?

begin Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 03:45:18PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > this is prolly unrelated.  there's a kernel config option that talks
> > about using real-mode calls for a shut down.  enable that option and
> > you'll get a poweroff as well as a kernel shutdown.
>
>   The APIC issue _could_ be related to the crashes, the power down is
> simply a mis-configuration of the kernel configuration as Pete says.
>
>     Later,
>       Mike

ahh, i've been forgetful.  thanks for reminding me, mike.  yes, the APIC
issue could _very well_ be causing the crash.

the kernel can be passed "noapic" which should surpress these messages,
but that won't stop it from crashing.   ;)

i don't remember seeing a reply to the overclock question.  i sometimes
see these messages on machines with non-standard front side bus speeds.
some PCI devices get very upset with a non-standard bus speeds, and that
can certainly definitely crash your system.   i know this from first
hand experience.   ;-)

pete