2003 May 06 13:08

Re: [vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

Re: [vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

begin Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:39:00PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>

> > > apt-get -t unstable install sox
> >
> > should i file a bug report on apt?  the manpage seems to be wrong.
>
>   Which manpage is wrong in what way?

ok, nevermind.   i was being dumb.  now that i have my sources.list and
preferences file set up correctly, the man page's explanation of
package=version and package/branch works as advertised.

it works like a charm, aside from the fact that it looks like unstable
is trying to work out some strange dependencies on sound stuff.  sox and
mp3blaster are mutually exclusive right now.

but i've been able to upgrade to unstable pdf viewing stuff, and then
downgrade back to testing.   works great!

> > can you point me to a man of info page about pins?
>
>   man apt_preferences

it took me a *long* while to figure that out.  had to muck about
$MAN/man5 before finding that.   :(

> > or is it the same thing as a hold?
>
>   I don't know...

after spending an embarrassing amount of time learning about pinning, i
think the answer is "no".   :-)

pete