2003 May 05 13:28

Re: [vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:39:00PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >   You would need unstable in your sources list and a pin for testing to
> > be the default release.  If you don't have -t the dependencies of sox
> > will all stay with testing, which will often prevent it from installing.
> >
> >   I don't have time to do a write up right now.
>
> that's ok.  i'll RTFM about the -t option.
>
> but i tried searching for "pin" in the apt, apt-get, dpkg, dpkg-deb and
> deb-control man pages.  can't find any reference to it (except for one
> reference in man apt-get which doesn't say much).
>
> can you point me to a man of info page about pins?

To pin packages to a distribution, you have to add settings to
/etc/apt/preferences.  I've never actually done this since I run
unstable, but I've seen people post examples before.  There doesn't seem
to be a whole lot of documentation on the procedure, but you can find
some info on google; the following site seems like an okay intro:

    http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Matt