2003 May 04 17:24

Re: [vox-tech] booting off cd help

On 2003.05.04 10:22, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
begin Ken Bloom <kabloom@ucdavis.edu>

> On 2003.05.03 18:06, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> >well, let's say i want to boot a knoppix CD (which would've really
> >have
> >been helpful).  how would i go about doing that?  something like
> >
> >dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/fd0 count=something?
> >

> dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

so i guess dd stops automatically without printing an error message
when the output file has no more space left, but the input file still
has 649MB left to go?
Please note that I'm not copying from the device file. I'm copying from a regular file on the CDROM that the cdrom filesystem has marked as the boot image. /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img is a floppy-disk sized file. dd will stop when it runs out of input.

> and FYI, since apparently the boot image can have any name, this the

> `file` output looks like for the boot image, so you can find it if
you
> can't tell by the name.
>
> [bloom@kabloom KNOPPIX]% file boot.img
> boot.img: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x3c, OEM-ID "SYSLINUX", FAT
1,
> root entries 16, sectors 2880 (volumes <=32 MB) , sectors/FAT 9,
serial
> number 0x3e2987b9, label: "           ", FAT (12 bit)
>
> (if you're actually going to use KNOPPIX, I suggest using the
boot-en.
> img boot image, and not the boot.img image as I'm not sure what
> language boot.img will boot you into.)

i feel this is a stupid question, but if you create a floppy with

   dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0

and boot off the floppy, the rest of the boot will take place off the
CD?  how does the boot loader know to start reading data off a
different
device?

I'm not sure how it does it. (And I haven't experimented with it either to ensure that it really works. I'll take Mark Kim's word for it.)

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C 941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu