2003 May 04 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] cut and paste with opera

Just checking this out, I still don't think that QT and Gnome get it right.

Select/middle-click copying works correctly, but C-c copying from galeon can only paste (C-y) correctly in Emacs21 but not paste (C-v) in Kword.

(C-c) copying from Kword can paste (C-y) correctly in emacs21, but copying (M-w) from emacs21 cannot paste (C-v) correctly in Kword

Gnome has problems with their copy (select)/paste (middle-click). When I selected text in Balsa and pasted it into emacs, it worked correctly, but when I then clicked in the balsa window (to unselect all text), the PRIMARY clipboard reverted to what it held before I selected the text in Balsa. (Gedit had a similar problem in place of balsa, but Gaim did not have a similar problem filling that role)

On 2003.05.03 03:19, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
we were just talking about this on vox-tech.

note that there really was a bug in qt awhile ago which made cut and
paste funky between qt and gtk applications, but it got fixed a long
time ago.

pete

----- Forwarded message from Espen Sand <espen@opera.com> -----

From: Espen Sand <espen@opera.com>
To: opera-linux@opera.com
Subject: Re: [Opera-linux] Copy/cut & paste with Opera (and QT/KDE
apps)
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 18:59:17 +0200

On Saturday 03 May 2003 17:43, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> I guess this isn't directly related to Opera, but can someone
explain
> why my KDE/QT and subsequently Opera setup works differently than
> "normal", X-Windows behavior being normal.
>
> What I mean is, if I highlight text, that normally "copies" it to
the
> buffer (clipboard in the Windows world). With Opera and other QT/KDE
> apps, I can only do this by highlighting the text and then selecting
> "Copy", be it the copy command in the "Edit" menu or the right-click
> menu. When it's time to paste the text, the middle-button action
doesn't
> work either. I have to choose "Paste" from a menu.
>
> Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V do work for copying and pasting, but I'm spoiled
by
> the mouse only method. I even catch myself doing it that way in
Windows.

There are two main clipboards 1) The mouse selection clicpboard and
2) The "regular" clipboard

1) This is the clipboard that text is automatically copied to when you
select
text with the mouse. You can paste from this clipboard by mid-clicking

in another application or edit fields in Opera.

2) This is the clipboard that you copy text to by doing Ctrl+C or
using
the "Copy" entry in the menu. You can paste from this buffer by doing
Ctrl+V or "Paste" from the menu.

The problem is that some programs do not follow this rule (Opera does
-
try the different modes internally in opera). One has tried
to standardize the way I described above. Take a look at the link
below

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt
PRIMARY is the same as 1 and CLIPBOARD is the same as 2

It means that text selected with the mouse shall only be pasted
another
place by doing a midclick and text copyied with Ctrl+C shall only be
pasted
another place by using Ctrl+V

--
Espen Sand
espen@opera.com

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu